Friday, October 5, 2007

Sept. 18... Email to college advisor, apple geek, science ed professor, cool guy.

The email starts with a discussion of the iPhone which I didn't feel that I needed to include


...Some more good news to pass along: South Western is a CFF winner this year. Though the school only got half of the original amount requested, I am one of 4 science teachers to receive the package.

We were able to choose what package (Lenovo or Apple) we wanted on a teacher-by-teacher basis. You will be happy to know that I chose the apple package, and will be personally ordering a keyboard, mighty mouse and 23" cinema display to park in my house.

With this opportunity presented by the CFF grant, comes the scary task of making sure that it is "done" correctly. I feel that my department is innovative/open-minded and therefore has the opportunity to be the positive driving force behind other those that get frustrated. I think about CFF every day and often wonder how the 1-to-1* idea fits in with an already crammed standards-based format which we are to be using now (and which we are being tested upon). Surely teaching the nature of science (which was apparently half the PSSA during round one) fits well with the 1-to-1 model, but 1-to-1/CFF is often associated with great student productions. My experience is that teachers become frustrated when thinking about the time spent on student vod/podcasts, and therefore other options and examples need to be presented.

There needs to be a large cache of great ideas/projects/assignments/tactics people have used. Maybe there already is something like this? Maybe it's something I need to start? Maybe a google group for CFF/1-to-1 educators? Maybe a google group for CFF/1-to-1 educators in each core subject area?

This email has obviously committed a flagrant foul with regard to the 5-sentence rule. Sorry. I've been meaning to start blogging my CFF experiences. Looks like I just wrote my first entry in this email.

*I say 1-to-1 while understanding that true 1-to-1 doesn't just happen in core classes and allows students to have a little more ownership in the machines.

No comments: